Older posts are in a list on the left or at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Key Chain

I previously tied a 4-strand round braid key chain for my younger brother, and after a couple months he ran it over with the lawnmower. The keys survived but the paracord took a hit. So I retied another one for him. The colors are olive drab and tan. I ended the 4-strand round braid with a Matthew Walker knot. This knot isn't easy, but when done right, it looks awesome. Overall this was a very easy project, and took about 15 mins to complete. I used about 4 foot of each color of paracord.

Friday, May 9, 2014

Finished Horn Knot

Here is what a finished horn knot looks like when tied onto the saddle horn. I did this for my brother before a big ropin' of his. I'm sure he will get a couple inquires about it.

The paracord used is called Viper, and was bought from Supply Captain.

The size I used in the final knot was 8 high and 7 wide.

The unfinished knot at the bottom right was tied around my hand, and then took out about 3 high when I got ready to put it on the saddle horn.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Flashlight Shape Up

I had a couple of flashlights hanging around so I decided to spruce them up a bit.
The red Maglite has a long 4 bight Turk's Head coupled with two Spanish Ring knots. You can see how to make both of them here (credit: Stormdrane) and here respectively.
The silver flashlight is one I had in my desk that a manufactures rep gave me. The blue knot is a 7X6 doubled Turks Head knot coupled again by two white Spanish Ring knots. The loop was done with a diamond stopper knot in the middle and two white 3X4 Turks heads on the either side.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Knots on a Broom Handle

Here's some more knots I've tied from Tom Hall's Turk's-Head Knot Tips.

I've posted a couple of these earlier, but they look 100x better after being tightened down.

The ones with the gaucho interweave will make great horn knots, and is probably how I will tie them from now often. Only because it looks cleaner and won't stretch when pulled apart. Even though the other way to tie a horn knot isn't pulled apart rather pushed together, it still kinda bothers me.

Each one of these can be tied with two colors (ex: the second one), but the top and bottom one are done with one continuous strand. I prefer it that way, unless requested otherwise, because it provides less ends to be cut and melted when you are done tying.

From top to bottom on the mandrel (old broom handle):
5X6 Casa with Gaucho Interweave
7X6 Casa with Gaucho Interweave
7X6 Casa with Pineapple Interweave

Random Turk's Head Knots

7X6 Casa with Pineapple Interweave

I've been looking through some old books that I have and one that I use a lot is Tom Hall's Turk's-Head Knot Tips. This has many many knots that are both useful, really cool to look at, and a good puzzle to tie.

The colors I have used don't really go together, but it's the only extra cord I had lying around at the time.

Here are some of the ones I have tied from the book:

7X6 Casa with Herringbone Interweave

9X5 Casa with Herringbone Interweave

4X3 Casa with Herringbone Interweave

9X5 Casa with Gaucho Interweave

Thursday, April 24, 2014


My brother had a problem with finding a good quality keeper to pass his rope through. We came up with a few of different ideas on how it should be made. First was using a 6 strand round braid and making two 3 strand braids that split and come back together to form a hole. It would have worked, but it turned  too thick for our purpose. So I settled with a four strand round braid and made the hole by twisting the two ropes together to form a loop.

The last one uses the six strand round braid but I used some leftover microcord, and it satisfied the thickness and look I was originally going for.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Key Chain Lanyard with Buckle

A guy the other day wanted a lanyard that he could attach his keys to but also detach they key when getting ready to start his car. I had seen similar things around the internet that used a buckle at the end of the lanyard for this very reason. The lanyard is done with a four strand round braid of alternating colors and then spliced back on itself closer to the buckle. The bottom is done with a simple solomon braid knot. The colors used are white and caribbean blue.